Pages

Friday, March 19, 2010

Jessica Yee

Jessica Yee has been introduced to me via her voice on radio and online, a voice that does not shy from discussing difficult issues. She is a really inspiring influence for me, in her unwavering commitment to reproductive autonomy and sexual health, speaking up for sex workers rights and dignity, insistence on respect for her people, and a refusal to be silent with her rage. She does not shy away from confronting anything, as far as I can tell, and I really admire what I see as a refusal to turn away. She is someone who reminds me of all that is left to be done, especially within what I see as a two-tier social structure of Canada's reserve system. I did not grow up in Canada, and find myself confused at best about the level of stereotypes people hold on to about First Nations individuals, and the rampant racism still found in this 21st century, and no, not that subtle hard to pin down kind. But the really upfront outright acknowledgment of hatred and embracing of stereotypes. Thats the kind of stuff thats really common in the USA, its just that in Canada y'all pretend to be so politically correct and polite... but you're not, really.

Anyway, in this article which I HIGHLY recommend looking at, Jessica Yee doesn't shy away from assuming a stereotype someone might launch her way. Cause rage is the only thing that makes sense, sometimes.

http://www.rabble.ca/columnists/2010/03/why-im-owning-native-stereotype