Pages

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Hi There

It's me, the mysterious fine arts reading room resident Pippa making my first attempt at a post here. I've been awful quiet with my research but I thought I'd share some of my findings with you. I’m currently investigating the post secondary educational institution’s visual imagery as a form of propaganda. Montreal, which houses 4 major Canadian universities and over 10 college level schools, is an ideal location to question the promises of an education and the reality of the job market and graduates drowning in debt.


First off, did anyone else notice the fine arts reading room's own Zoë Ritts in the infamous Maclean's 20th anniversary University rankings issue?


The caption “ Crafty Concordia: Fine arts students don’t just learn how to paint, they learn how to apply their talent to real-world design” was under an image of Zoë working hard on a loom in the fibres department. The article titled "No Ivory Tower here" (you can read it here) promoted Concordia’s diverse faculty of fine arts, which I interpreted as some sort preemptive apology against Concordia's defensiveness of its continual low ranking on the Maclean's list.